The first time I saw a big pile of striped meninges balancing on top of on another I thought they looked magical. I also thought they were something I’d never be able to do.
I couldn’t begin to imagine how to make the beautiful delicate little clouds, perched precariously on each others’ heads.
And then I found out it was easy!
What you need:
- 6 free range egg whites
- 300g caster sugar
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- Food colouring of your choice
- Piping bag / sandwich bag
It’s so simple:
- Heat an oven to 100 degrees C.
- In a clean, dry bowl (and dirt or water will stop the eggs from whisking properly) whisk together the egg whites until they stand in soft peaks.
- Once you have peaks, turn up the whisk and spoon by spoon add in the sugar, and a pinch of salt. Keep whisking until it’s transformed into smooth glossy firm peaks.
- Take your piping bag or sandwich bag and using your paintbrush, paint stripes of food colouring on the inside of it. Don’t worry about being too careful or precise with it.
- Carefully spoon the meringue mixture into the bag, until it’s almost full. Twist the top closed, and if you’re using a sandwich bag snip the very end off.
- Line a baking trey, or use a silicone one, and pipe out some of the mixture – you should have enough to make 5.
- Put in the oven for 45 minutes until the outside is beginning to go a little golden, and the meringues are dried out, but still soft in the middle.
- Stack them one on top of the other and invite your friends to come and take photos.