I had always thought that making your own pasta seemed like a hassle – it’s so easy to just buy it, so what’s the point? It turns out not only is it easy, it’s also really satisfying an it looks super impressive if you have people over for dinner.
I would say you need a pasta machine – you could do it with a rolling pin, but it would take the rest of your life, which wouldn’t be worth it.
What you need:
- 100g pasta (type 00) flour
- 1 medium egg
- 120g cream cheese
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp capers
- 0.5 bunch of fresh basil
Serves 2, 263 calories per serving.
It’s really simple:
- Sieve your flour into a bowl and in the egg and mix well to form a dough, squeezing together with your hands. If it seems a little dry add a teaspoon of oil – it shouldn’t be crumbly as it all needs to hold together.
- Starting with the pasta machine in it’s lowest setting, start feeding the pasta slowly through the machine. Run it through twice on each level, adding a dusting of flour ever so often if it starts to stick together. By the time you reach the last setting, what started off as a big ball of dough will be a long, amazing, ribbon of pasta.
- When you’re happy thats it’s smooth and thin it’s time to turn it into linguine. Again this is really simple – just feed it slowly and smoothly through the linguine setting on your pasta machine. Cut as you go, or you’ll end up with really long strings of pasta. If your machine doesn’t have the cutting settings you can always cut it with a pastry cutter for a similar effect.
- Dust the bowl of linguine with pasta so it doesn’t stick together and prepare your toppings. Tear the basil into large pieces and zest the lemon ready for dressing the pasta when it’s cooked.
- Put a pan of salted boiling water on the heat and add in the linguine. It will only need to cook for around 3 minutes since it’s so fresh.
- When it’s cooked drain with a colander, but keep back around 100ml of the cooking water.
- Stir in the cream cheese, basil, capers and lemon zest.
- Feel proud of yourself – you just made your own pasta!